By now you know that I love Thai food! This gem is actually my husband's favorite Thai dish and I hope you fall in love with it too. Not only is it great for dinner, but it's a fabulous brunch recipe as well!
I always buy rice that takes 40 minutes to cook, but if you buy an instant rice, you will reduce your cooking time significantly.
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 30 min
Yield: 4 servings
Pad Ka Prao
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 4 dried bird’s eye chilies, chopped and pounded with a mortar and pestle, or 1-2 fresh jalapeno cut into slivers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or sugar to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried Thai basil
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups cooked brown Jasmine rice (typically 1 cup dry)
- Prepare rice according to package directions and let it cook while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a deep skillet or wok. Add the garlic and shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Toss in the ground chicken and break apart with a wooden spatula.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the chilies, soy sauce, sugar, basil, and black pepper.
- Stir to combine and add a splash of water or chicken broth if the mixture becomes too dry. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- In a separate skillet, prepare your sunny side up eggs.
- Assemble your plates by placing a serving of rice down first, adding the chicken mixture next, then topping with a sunny side up egg.