Chicken Tortilla Soup
It's soup season here in Pennsylvania and this chicken tortilla soup hit the spot!
Have you ever had tortilla soup at Max & Erma's?! It's so delicious and SO unhealthy! It's super creamy in the "stick to your ribs" kinda way!
While I love it, it's not something I wanted to make at home and eat several days in a row! Instead, this chicken tortilla soup has all the flavor with less of the calories and fat!
It's slightly thickened with corn tortillas that are added to the broth while it cooks! They disintegrate beautifully, add flavor, and provide a little thickness. It's my favorite trick (and way better than adding cans of creamy soup to the broth)!
And once you top the finished product with shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream), and avocado, it becomes a perfectly rich and creamy bowl of goodness!
As a final touch, instead of topping it with fried tortilla chips, I simply baked some sliced corn tortillas in the oven and made my own guilt-free strips for a crunchy topping that finished the soup perfectly!
So this is proof that you can keep it healthy AND enjoy lots of flavor!
I hope you like it!
Total Time: 55 Min
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 45 min
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 32oz boxes chicken stock
- 2 10 oz cans Rotel fire roasted tomatoes with green chilis
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat shredded and set aside
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Avocado, sliced
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Corn tortilla strips
- Lime wedges
- Heat 1 TB olive oil in a large pot. Sauté onions until soft, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock and fire roasted tomatoes.Tear 2 corn tortillas into chunks and stir into soup.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the soup cooks, stack 4 corn tortillas and cut into 1/2 inch strips. Toss with 1 tsp olive oil and salt. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until golden and crisp at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Add corn, black beans, and chicken to soup.