Organic Hair Mask for Luxurious Locks
Looking to give your locks a little love? Well I have just the trick!
I’ve had a dry scalp my entire life…and I’m not entirely sure why. I eat lots of healthy fats to nourish my skin and scalp from the inside out (avocados, coconut oil, nuts, etc.), but my pesky scalp likes to get dry and itchy. I’ve tried medicated shampoo (and if you know me, you know that I refuse to use ANY medications…but I gave in and tried it…didn’t work.) I’ve tried every shampoo on the market, even ones with tea tree oil, still no luck. I’ve applied coconut oil to my hair before, mixed in grapefruit juice, still nothing. So I was hesitant to try yet another remedy. But after two applications, I have to say that I am seeing a real difference! Yippee!
This mask will work wonders if you have a dry scalp or if your hair is damaged from chlorine, hair dye, straightening irons, curling wands, name it!
Why castor oil?
It’s known to:
- Treat dandruff and dry scalp
- Prevent split ends
- Moisturize the hair and make it oh so shiny
- Help with hair regrowth and hair loss (great for new mommas)
- Help hair grow faster (3-5 times the normal rate!)
- Treat other annoying problems with its natural anti-fungal and antibacterial properties #winning
Plus, it contains vitamin E, omega-6 fatty acids, minerals, and proteins, which all contribute to healthy hair. You can also apply castor oil to your eyebrows and lashes before going to sleep to enhance your natural hair growth! Hello, luscious lashes!
Castor oil is very thick, so it’s best to mix it with another oil such as my one true love, coconut oil!
Why coconut oil?
Like castor oil, coconut oil offers a wide array of beauty benefits. The various fatty acids in coconut oil serve as anti-dandruff agents and help condition and treat damaged hair.
How to mix and apply:
1. Add 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil to a bowl. Use more or less depending on your hair’s thickness and length.
2. Melt in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
3. Add 1-2 tablespoons of castor oil to the bowl. Mix thoroughly. Again, use more or less depending on your hair, but keep the ratio 1:1.
4. Pour the mixture into a small bottle, separate your dry hair into sections, and apply the oil to your scalp. Massage your scalp and work the oil through your hair. Add extra oil to your ends. (If you don’t have a small bottle, just use a spoon and your hands to transfer it from the bowl to your scalp.)
5. Place a shower cap on your noggin and leave the mixture on for at least two hours. You can also wrap a warm towel around your head to help the oil penetrate the follicles and hydrate your scalp.
6. For maximum benefit, leave it on overnight. Cover your pillow with a towel in case the shower cap moves and dream of fresh locks!
7. Wash your hair as usual, making sure you remove all the oil.
8. Show off that shiny mane!
How often to apply the mask?
- If your aim is to treat hair loss or dry scalp, use it at least twice a week for several weeks.
- If you want to increase shine and mend those split ends, use it as a conditioner once a week.
I was worried the mask would make my hair limp and oily, but look at that volume! And my ends have never been silkier!
Let me know what you think!