If you’re anything like me, you L.O.V.E sweets and if you want to feel good about eating ice cream for breakfast, then acai bowls are for you!
The acai berry has been acclaimed for a wide array of health benefits, but unlike many other “healthy” foods, it tastes AHHMAZING! This tropical superfood from Brazil definitely makes waking up a whole lot easier.
Acai bowls are basically thick smoothies topped with scrumptious accouterments such as fruit, nuts, cacao nibs, coconut shreds, oatmeal, almond butter, you name it. Not only do these tasty bowls fill the belly, they satisfy that sweet tooth so you can skip the office donuts without a second thought!
Where to find this superfood?
Acai berries come as powders or frozen puree in the U.S. I HIGHLY recommend going with a frozen puree (without added sugar) since many powders are imposters. I buy Sambazon packs in the freezer section of Whole Foods, but you can locate them at your nearest health food store through the Sambazon site.
Blending up a morning of sunshine:
Once you secure your superfood packs, it’s time to master the texture. You want a consistency that is thick and scoopable, not too watery or too thick.
My go-to recipe is:
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 pack frozen acai puree, slightly thawed under hot water
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Toppings such as: fruit, nuts, dates, coconut shreds, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, nut butter
- Place frozen acai puree and frozen banana in blender.
- Start with 1/4 cup of almond milk (add more if needed) and blend until smooth and thick.
- Garnish with your favorite healthy toppings.
- Seize the day!
Sometimes I’ll swap frozen banana for frozen mango for an extra tropical treat!
Once you blend the beautiful purple concoction, garnish with your favorite toppings!
And everything tastes better in a coconut, right?!
Let me know what you think!