How I’m Preparing for Labor and Delivery
I can't tell you how many people have literally laughed in my face when I tell them my birth vision. But I love this analogy:
When a woman gets married, she spends months planning every detail, envisioning every moment, and spending tens of thousands of dollars on one day.
But when she decides to have a baby, which is an equally if not more important day, she gives no thought to the delivery and places all of the control (and credit) in the doctor's hands.
Now I am NOT judging any women out there! Please don't think that! My goodness, to each her own. Yes, I know things may NOT go as planned...and I'm cool with that. But I've done my research and know my options.
Sean and I have invested over $1K into the birth of this child (between the doula, classes, and books) and people think we're nuts. But this is our preference and choice (and that investment is a drop in the bucket thanks to my Beachbody earnings)! So people can keep laughing because we don't mind.
So what have we done to prepare?
- Read Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth
- Read Doula’s Guide to Birthing Your Way
- Hired a doula to help us through the prenatal period, labor, delivery, and the first breastfeeding.
- Attended four 3 hour classes called Confident Birthing at Shining Light Prenatal Education
- Attended a 3 hour breastfeeding class at Shining Light
- Attended a 3 hour Infant Basics class at Shining Light
The Confident Birthing Classes have taught us:
- what to expect during labor and delivery
- different laboring and birthing positions
- various ways dad can support and massage mom during labor and delivery
- pain management techniques
- how to know you are in labor
- how to time your contractions and when to go to the hospital/birthing center
- the various induction techniques
- what to expect for a C-Section
- plus LOTS more!
Here are some other articles I’ve read:
I’ll share my birth plan soon, so stay tuned!