How to Keep it Healthy on Cinco de Mayo
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Cue the Mariachi band and cut the limes, it's time to celebrate! But before you indulge in your favorite Mexican treats, know that the sodium, carbs, and unhealthy fats you consume will undoubtedly wreak havoc on your body. Here's how you can enjoy the holiday without undoing all of your hard work:
1. Drink wisely!
Want a margarita? Sure, have one...but make it yourself! Choose fresh ingredients rather than store-bought mixers, which are full of high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors, and other preservatives that add an extra 100 to 200 calories per cup.
Here's how I'm making my margaritas tonight:
- Coarsely ground sea salt
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) silver tequila
- 1½ ounces (3 tablespoons/about 1½ small limes) fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons/about ½ of a medium orange) fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon light agave nectar
- 1 lime wedge or round, for garnish
- Run the wet edge of a sliced lime around half the rim of your glass. Then dip the rim into a plate of salt. Add ice to the glass and set aside.
- Fill a small cocktail shaker with ice. Pour in the tequila, freshly squeezed lime and orange juice, and agave nectar. P ut on the lid and shake for 30 seconds. Strain the liquid into your glass and garnish with a slice of lime.
Recipe from Cookie and Kate
2. Make your own tortilla chips!
Tortilla chips may seem harmless, but remember that they are deep fried and covered in salt. In fact, an order of chips and guac from Chipotle rings in at 800 calories! That's the calorie equivalent of an entire meal.
So make your own at home with this easy recipe:
- Corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush one side of each of the corn tortillas with a light layer of olive oil.
- Cut the tortillas into 8 wedges or shapes as desired.
- Place tortilla pieces on a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Recipe from Food.com
3. Limit your carbs.
Choose 1 or 2 of the following:
- Tortilla chips
- Taco/burrito shells
Most mexican meals come with ALL of the above...and that's just a recipe for waistline destruction!
Here's what I'm having tonight:
- Margarita - recipe above
- Homemade tortilla chips - recipe above
- Homemade guacamole
- fresh lime juice
- red onion
- salt & pepper
- Steak fajitas in lettuce wraps
- Flank steak
- Bell peppers
- Red Onion
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
So my 2 carbs are the homemade tortilla chips and the margarita. Everything else is clean and simple.
And remember to drink extra water to make up for the sodium and alcohol. :)
Sending you a virtual cheers!